For those flying into New York, the best airports are John F. Kennedy (JFK) or La Guardia (LGA).
Once you’re in New York it’s relatively easy to get to Greenport, NY. You can get there by car, train, or bus. For more flexibility, we recommend renting a car.
Make sure you account for summer traffic! Estimated time from NYC: 2 1/2hrs
– Take I-495 East towards Eastern Long Island (70 mi)
– Take exit 71 and turn right onto NY-24 S/County Road 94 E/Edwards Ave S (2 mi)
– Forllow Flanders Rd/Riverhead-Hampton Bays Rd (1 mi)
– Turn left onto County Rd 105/Cross River Dr (2 mi)
– Turn right onto Main Rd, destination will be on the right (18 mi)
– Take I-95 S toward Providence Rhode Island (100 mi)
– Take exit 84S toward Downtown New London S (0.5 mi)
– Take ferry (see details bellow) – New London ferry to Orient Point, NY (1 hr)
– Takeroute 25 W (Main Rd) to Greenport, NY (8 mi)
New London Ferry
Price: $150 (round trip)
Renting a Car
Basically any rental agency should do. We suggest making a reservation well in advance. Here are ways to save money:
– If weekend prices are too high, try reserving a weekly rate (often they are lower)
– Foreigners can take advantage of reduced rates from Hertz (as low as $160/week)
– Use coupons (look for 3 days for price of 2 deals)
Take the Long Island Railroad (Ronkonkoma branch) from Penn Station (34th St & 7ave) to Greenport. ***Ronkonkoma line has planned work and limited trips to Greenport
Take the Hamptons Jitney (North Fork branch) from NYC (multiple locations) to Greenport.
Price: $40 (Round Trip)